Linked lists are simple and a effective way to create a relation between two different lists. This field type allows you to connect a record to another record in another list. This can be very helpful in finding related information and eliminating data duplication.
- Linking a "product" with an "order".
- Linking a "contact" with an associated "company".
- Linking a "bill" with a "customer".
- Allow Multiple (optional): allow linking multiple records to the original at the same time.
- Linked List (required): specifies the list to from which records could be linked.
- Link With an External App (optional): allow linking with lists from other apps available in your workspace.
- Linked App (required): specifies the app that contains the list you want to link to, if the “Link With an External App” option is checked.
Assume you want to create a new app for an educational institute. There are at least two lists to create: "courses" and "teachers". Each course have a teacher, and each teacher may teach many courses.
Let us create those lists, and make this relations in Workiom!
Create a new app named: My courses.
Create a new list named: Courses with the field:
- Name: Field Type text
- Description: Field Type text with "Multiline"'s option checked.
- Duration: Field Type static list with this values: 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months
Go back to list and insert some data such as the following:
Create a new list named: Teachers with those field:
- Full name: Field type text.
- Phone number: Field type phone number.
- Email: Field type email.
- Notes: Field type text with "Multiline"'s option checked.
Back to list and insert some data:
Now that we have created two lists: "courses" and "teachers", let's now create the relation between them!
Create a relation:
- Go to the "Courses" list and click on the "edit list" button.
- Click on "New Field" button.
- Enter the field name as "Teachers", and choose the Field Type as "Linked list".
- Choose the list "Teachers" from the Linked list drop down.
Congratulations, you have created a new field in the Courses list linked with the Teachers list.
Don't forget to check the "Allow Multiple" option, if checked this means that a specific course could be taught by one or more teachers.
You can go back to the list "Courses" and update some of existing records
You would see a new field with the name "Teachers". You can assign a course for one or more existing teachers. Click on the text box, on the "Link" button, or create a new teacher if the teacher does not already exists in the list!
Click on the "Save" button and then back to list view!
Note: You will not need to go to Teachers list and make the link again, Because Workiom automatically create the link in the teacher list!